Wednesday, July 20, 2005

ID on a Bike

This story ran locally in the Star Tribune:

Police were asking for help Monday identifying a bicyclist who apparently crashed and was found lying unconscious in a ditch along a road in Savage.
The woman carried no identification, and authorities said they haven't received a missing persons report to help them identify her.
The woman, who was riding a black and yellow Mongoose bicycle, was found shortly after 8:30 a.m. Monday in the 8900 block of W. 154th Street.
She is about 30 years old, 5 foot 5 with reddish blonde hair. She has a wedding ring and a pierced navel.
She was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center for emergency surgery and remains on life support, according to Savage police.
The cause of her crash hasn't been determined, but investigators do not believe a car was involved.
Anyone who thinks they might know the woman should call the Savage Police Department at 952-882-2600

I've thought about this. I typically have my wallet with me but that could get stolen or I might forget it. I nearly always wear a helmet, a Bell Metro, and to make identification easier, used a Brother labeller (which we use in our periodic futile attempts to become more organized) to make labels with my name and phone number which I affixed to the inside facets of one of the ventilation slots on the helmet. If my crumpled body is one day discovered somewhere, I figure the name and phone number will quickly be seen and my wife called.

The cyclist has been identified.

Police in Savage said this morning that they have the name of the bicyclist who was found injured and unconscious in a ditch Monday morning.
Now, they're asking for information about how she was injured.
Pamela Doerr, 41, was found about 8:30 a.m. by a passerby in a ditch in the 8900 block of W. 154th Street. She was not carrying identification, and police asked for help identifying her.
Doerr's husband made the identification after returning home from work about 7:30 p.m. and finding his wife missing. They live near the scene of the crash.
Pamela Doerr, a teacher at Prior Lake Junior High School, is in serious condition at the Hennepin County Medical Center. Police reported that she had a head injury.
The cause of her crash hasn't been determined, but investigators said Monday they do not believe a car was involved.

I hope she recovers. It sounds pretty serious. Another story says she's on life support. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for Ms. Doerr's speedy recovery. I can't help noting that a bicyclist originally estimated to be 30 years old turned out to be 41. That's got to be more common for bicyclists than for motorists.